Tuesday 5 January 2016

Practical: 51-60 Aesir - Designing the Package


After I began designing, I thought I would print off the boxes and make them up to see what they looked like and highlight any flaws or problems early on before text is added.

First Attempt


Immediately I dislike the harsh white rectangle which all the information is in, it completely contradicts the products personality and the curvy, feminine image it needs to portray. Every element of the design needs to be gentle and soft. For that reason I think the Æ needs to be changed into the individual letters; the combined letter is sharp and doesn't fit with the design.



Second Attempt


After looking at the design critically I decided that the white box needed to have some sort of curve to it to remove the shape edges. I rounded the top and bottom of the square to make it softer on the eye. I will continue to make this into one of the possible outcomes.


 Third Attempt


I wanted to create a mock of the curved edge box. I decided to make both the sides purple with white information over the top. Whilst the dark purple is luxurious and it looked good on the screen, in reality it makes the text very hard to read. I will keep this idea but opt for a light tint of the purple so that the colour is gentler and in-keeping with the design.

The box design itself is different from the birch tree one as it opens from the top with a lid opposed to another box underneath. The curved sides would not work with a box underneath as the corners wouldn't fit in.


Paper Stock
I have ordered paper from G.F smith but unfortunately it hasn't arrived so I have chosen paper for the universities selection instead.

1. Somerset Satin soft white 300gsm
2. Somerset Textured white 300gsm
3. Pearlescent paper 

Final Design Template Outcomes
I have decided on my final designs before my print slot on the 7th. I am not sure how the designs will look so want to try a few designs out on different stocks so that I can decide which is best once they have all been created.



Firstly I want to try the birch tree background on the Somerset satin soft white, somerset textured white, and the pearlescent paper. 



Secondly, the lighter purple sides will be printed on the somerset satin and the textured white. It will be best to see whether the design looks best on a whiter textured stock or a more creamy off white smooth stock.




The design above will be printed on a white textured stock and the text over the top will be silver.


This design is identical to the one above however I have used a darker purple for the type so that it will be legible on the pearlescent paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment