Sunday 10 January 2016

Synthesis between practical and theory

Whilst I had an interest in packaging design and enjoyed making boxes, I didn’t really have any theoretical knowledge to support my enthusiasm. I decided to view CoP 3 as an opportunity to learn as much information as I could and put it into practice. I felt this would not only help my Extended Practice but would also provide a basis of information and give me a better understanding of packaging design which would ease my transition into industry.

I decided to focus my dissertation around target markets because they are pivotal to the design process; every decision involving the packaging from colours, to typefaces, to tone of voice is influenced by who the product is aimed at. With this in mind, my dissertation acts as a guide by providing all the theoretical information I need to create an informed practical outcome. 

Each chapter focused on a different area which I felt I needed to know more about in order to create a successful packaging design: the environment in which the packaging is seen, market research, and the influences of the target market. The final chapter used Dove and Nivea as case studies to show how all of the information touched on in the first three chapters is practically applied in the real world. I chose Dove and Nivea because they both aim at the same target market however their approach and marketing positioning is completely different. This showed how even when the end user is the same there are alternative ways to create designs aimed at them. I also chose to study Dove and Nivea as they are leading brands in the toiletries industry and I knew from early on that I wanted my practical outcome to be a soap package. This almost killed two birds with one stone in the sense that I could conduct more in-depth research into the practical outcomes product category leaders, whilst also making clear links between my dissertation theory and how it is implemented in industry.

After writing my second chapter on market research it became clear that I would have to conduct my own research in order to create an outcome that has actually been informed by a target market opposed to my own preconceptions and preferences. An initial questionnaire provided data that allowed me to make target market groups through the found correlations. This completely shaped the way I responded to the practical brief, I used the data and the information discussed in my dissertation to outline the products unique selling points and personalities. My dissertation raised the importance of conducting research throughout the design process and taught me what types of research were appropriate at different stages. The type of research I decided to carry out very much depended on what stage I was at. For example, with the 18-24 year old category I quickly gathered a strong idea from the questionnaire responses. This meant that individual interviews with people in the target market were more appropriate so that others wouldn’t sway their opinions. On the other hand, I conducted a focus group with the 51-60 year olds before any designs had been created. The focus group became more of a discussion as to what they felt would be most appropriate; it was beneficial to get their opinion in a group dynamic because I didn’t fit into the market.

For the practical outcome I wanted to take an everyday essential that is used by everyone and create two different packaging designs aiming at two different markets. The aim was to show how two products can have the same purpose (soaps purpose being to clean) but the packaging design differs depending on who the product is aimed at. This reinforces my dissertation argument by illustrating the importance of understanding the market you are designing for before creating a design. Choosing an 18-24 year old female market and an older 51-60 market, provides enough difference in characteristics and lifestyles to have different preferences when it comes to their toiletry products. Interestingly, both outcomes were marketed as handmade and natural (promoting the benefits of natures ingredients) as these were attractive features to both target markets. However, even with this factor in common the two designs are completely disparate, proving that products with similar features rely on a clear personality, positioning, and understanding of the market in order to differentiate themselves and appeal to their desired consumer.



No comments:

Post a Comment